Look on this video, ye mighty, and despair!
- Donald J. Trump is the worst person in America. There is nothing mitigating.
- Florida is the worst state in America, at least until Ohio regains the crown.
- NO PUPPET NO PUPPET YOU’RE THE PUPPET
- Vanity Fair ran an article back in February on James Comey and the FBI. It’s worth revisiting. The New York field office seems like a rogue unit.
- To paraphrase Al Franken: “If you’re poor, it’s your fault. Anything else, it’s Clinton’s.” Still holds true today.
- Ronald Reagan blamed trees for pollution, but Rep. Scott Perry (WHAT POLITICAL PARTY DO YOU THINK HE IS-PA) has gone above and beyond to blame God Himself. I guess everything’s OK, then.
- Quick, name a woman scientist! Was it Marie Curie? No disrespect meant to the great Madame Curie, but science is full of many other accomplished women. Amanda Phingbodhipakkiya is working to tell their stories.
- You know that magnificent infographic on Napoleon’s invasion of Russia that Edward Tufte gushes over? Learn about its history.
- An F. Scott Fitzgerald story from 1920 has finally been published for the first time. It’s pretty funny.
- Statistical analysis of famous authors can yield interesting results if done right. It turns out your teacher was right — adverbs are awful.
- If you want evidence that humanity has outstayed its time on earth, “marriage proposal planner” is a good place to start.
So this place hasn’t burned down yet…
- Happy Belated St. Patrick’s Day! Let the shame of Canada’s Guinness blunder endure forever.
- The Republican budget will kill Americans. This is not an accident. This is what they want. They want us dead.
- Things worth spending money on: a giant wall that won’t work. Things not worth spending money on: food for senior citizens. This will end well.
- Trump’s budget cuts will annihilate several programs that benefit Michiganders, but a defense contractor might stay in the state, maybe, possibly. Worth it!
- Nothing about the Trump budget is good.
- Trumpcare, a.k.a. “the Nickelback of health reform,” will destroy Medicaid. If I had to guess, that more than anything is what Paul Ryan hopes to achieve with it.
- DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION DISTRACTION
- Regarding the “Deep State”:
American security forces have destabilized governments, trampled on civil liberties, and caused innocent lives to be lost. But these outcomes have generally been instigated or approved by the executive branch. In this way, the FBI, the CIA, and the intelligence community generally are resources that amplify the reach and intentions of American presidents, rather than undermining them. Conspiracy theories about the Deep State distract us from the real dangers America faces with a president Trump in charge of these intelligence services. The main danger from the FBI and CIA is not that they will overthrow Trump in some Oliver Stone-style conspiracy. It’s that they will do his bidding.
- An interesting essay on the rise of cashless transactions and plastic cards. They make the excellent point that cash has no middle men between us and the Federal Reserve, while electronic transactions are always mediated by the private sector. What does this mean for us? Read the essay.
- Chris Christie roots for the Cowboys and Notre Dame (his daughter’s school), even though his son went to Princeton, where he sits on the Board of Trustees. New Jersey ill needs a governor like him.
- Once upon a time, the NIT was the most important basketball tournament in America.
- How much does actual Atlantic City property cost? Oceans rise and empires fall, but Mediterranean Avenue remains the cheapest and Boardwalk is still the most expensive. I am glad.
- Speaking of Monopoly, farewell, wheelbarrow, thimble and shoe. Hello bird domination!
- “What, Exactly, Does ‘Ideological Diversity’ Mean?”:
Pundits are getting distracted by the dubious tactical approaches of a small minority of protesters instead of focusing on why they’re so upset in the first place — because discredited, offensive, and abhorrent (often right-wing) fringe viewpoints are now getting treated like they’re merely “ideologically diverse” instead of poisonous.
- If you ever go to Arkansas, the Crater of Diamonds State Park is a fun place to visit. You probably won’t do as well as a recent visitor, though. Lucky bastard.
Stella was here. I was kind of disappointed.
- I was also a little disappointed in Rachel Maddow’s story on Trump’s tax returns. But revolutions take time. This is a start.
- Trumpcare should primarily be seen as a destruction of Medicaid so wealthy people can pay less in taxes. Robbing and killing the poor to feed the rich. (h/t Scott Lemieux at Lawyers, Guns & Money)
- Steve King continues to be a delusional racist.
- Corey Lewandowski is running a protection racket for companies that don’t want Trump to tweet about them. Donald J. Trump is the worst president in American history. (h/t Anne Laurie at Balloon Juice)
- The Chinese company Anbang, which may or may not be owned by the government, is forgiving 200,000,000$ of debt that Jared Kushner owes on the property they just bought. And the Kushners are retaining a stake. How generous!
- Joe Barton, Republican from Texas, is the kind of guy who tells his own constituents to shut up. Wouldn’t you feel proud to have him represent you in Congress?
- Meet the woke misogynist:
“His true kink seemed to be tricking her into it.”
- FiveThirtyEight has a fun article about the difficulties of colonizing Mars. I always liked the idea of sending a souped-up zeppelin to float in the atmosphere of Venus.
Thank you for your patience.
- Probably the most disgusting story from the last five days is Steve King’s embrace of white supremacy. Has Iowa no shame?
- The Russian ambassador sure is forgettable for such a popular guy.
- Remember, Trump has done nothing you can point to as evidence that he isn’t compromised by Russian interests.
- The smoke is overwhelming.
- They lie to us because they have no respect for us.
- Trump is already the worst president in American history.
- Trumpcare is an utter disgrace, and the Republicans know it.
- If there’s one thing that can help us in saving the ACA, it’s Trump’s lack of interest in actually presiding over the country he’s responsible for.
- Villain team-ups never work out.
- There are a whole bunch of vacancies in the federal government that Trump has no intention of filling, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t infesting federal agencies with his cronies.
- When I think of wastes of money, I think of disease control and public health.
- Evangelical Christians do not know what persecution is.
- Chris Christie actually proposed something, er, good. Huh.
- Vox discussed a study that categorized candidate ads by whether they were about policy or personality. Ignoring the facts that the media never covered policy during the election, and that Trump’s defective personality definitely should have been attacked, the study found that Trump’s ads in 2016 were more about policy than Obama’s in 2008. I’m sorry, but that methodology must have some grievous errors.
- It’s been eclipsed by things even worse, but the Daily Caller is still a worthless virtual rag.
- For your perusal: the Town Hall project.
- International Women’s Day happened while I was not posting. Read some horrible, dumb comments powerful men have made about women.
- Have you ever wondered about the origin of “scientist”? It was coined to describe a woman.
- From The Ringer:
They loaded into a car, Tiara drifting off to sleep while Patience and Akyra bounced to the radio. Right around midnight, they pulled up and saw the building. They grabbed each other and squealed. The sign stood high and bright, inviting. This was it. This was perfect. The club was called Pulse.
- Dentistry really shouldn’t be so segregated from the rest of medicine, but some accidents of history have caused it to be. It’s an interesting article!
- TurboTax is great, but the problems it solves are partly of its own creation. Support Elizabeth Warren’s bill.
- Britain sucks. More on that later.
- Articles about 1-seeds and 16-seeds that omit Princeton-Georgetown also suck.
- Robert Sikoryak is a lunatic who adapted the iTunes Terms and Conditions into a graphic novel that pays homage to various comic book legends. Check it out.
- The Nintendo Switch cannot be used near aquariums. The Nintendo Switch is a failure.
- I know how you feel, God. I know how you feel.
- Your Wikipedia article of the night: “Douglas the camel.” Douglas was a traitor to his country.