The Disaster Artist looks pretty good.
- First there were two, then there were three. And the newest round of ACA repeal is also dead. See you tomorrow!
- When in doubt, privatize Medicare. Paul Ryan is more one-note than a tuning fork.
- Obama’s Iran deal is working and Trump is finding it hard to scrap. I sense a pattern.
- Trump’s ties to Russia go way, way back.
Whether Trump knew it or not, Russian mobsters and corrupt oligarchs used his properties not only to launder vast sums of money from extortion, drugs, gambling, and racketeering, but even as a base of operations for their criminal activities. In the process, they propped up Trump’s business and enabled him to reinvent his image. Without the Russian mafia, it is fair to say, Donald Trump would not be president of the United States.
- You’d think that he would have learned to speak Russian by now. Instead he’s meeting with Putin without bringing an interpreter, or any staff for that matter.
- I knew that the Republicans control Michigan’s legislature through gerrymandering, but I didn’t realize how bad it was. I hope this ballot initiative goes somewhere.
In 2012, Michigan Democrats received 52% of the votes cast for state House, but won 46% of the seats. In 2014, Democrats received 51% of the votes for state House and won 43% of the seats. And in 2016, Democrats received just under 50% of the votes for state House, and again won 43% of the seats.
In congressional races in 2016, Democrats received 47% of the votes, but won just 36% of the seats, records show.
2018 WILL MOST ASSUREDLY BE A GOOD YEAR!
Man, I don’t know why I’ve been updating so sporadically. I haven’t even been that busy.
- The Pete Campbell strategy of selling Trumpcare is off to a dismal start. But selling something with a 17% approval rating is going to be tough, and that’s before you start arresting people with disabilities for protesting their own imminent deaths.
- That said, this bill is dangerously close to passing, so make your calls!
- Now we know that a Republican operative was actively seeking Hillary’s emails — and didn’t care if a foreign government were the source. Drip drip drip.
- I’m glad that states are pushing back against Trump’s not-at-all-suspicious request for every voter’s personal information. But if yours hasn’t yet, call your Secretary of State!
- Neil Gorsuch sucks and is dishonest. Perfect timing now that Texas is chipping away at Obergefell. Everyone who takes a job, even a non-stolen one, from Donald Trump is inherently suspect.
- Every day a new blow to basic decency. There’s just not much to say anymore.
- “I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People”
- Think of all the journalists, documentarians, social issue filmmakers and more who work to make the world a better place. Then think about James O’Keefe, who uses his power for evil, to spread misery and ruin lives. Death is too good for him.
- Speaking of journalism, The New York Times, being garbage, is firing a bunch of copy editors. They will rerget this!
- This 10 Commandments statue saga is one of the funniest vandalism-related stories I’ve read in a while. Michael Tate Reed is a man on a mission.
- In the words of a Facebook friend, “I can’t wait for Cuomo to run for president so he can get completely clowned on how poorly he’s run the subways.”
- Yet Cuomo is still much, much better than Chris Christie, king of the rat bastards.
- I don’t understand everything about California’s single-payer fight, but the news is unpromising, and the bill appears to be a waste of time (funding mechanisms are not something you fix in post!). The Trump era, unfortunately, will see more triage than advancement.
- I suppose we’re on a state government kick. Elbridge Gerry of gerrymandering fame pronounced his last name like “Gary,” or “gill,” or the incorrect way of saying “GIF.” Now you know!
- The “Progressive Liberal” is a hilarious wrestling heel, and I wish him all the success in the world.
- “Teethpaste” is not a word, and per Merriam-Webster, there is no reason it should be. But it might be fun to bust it out on occasion.
- I liked Steven Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds,” but how on earth did the good people of Wikipedia decide to use that movie as an example for “happy ending”?
- And finally, I have been informed that posting links on Facebook 50 times a day is a sign that you are a spreader of fake news. This post, however, only has 27 links, so I am in the clear!
Holy moly, I let things pile up. My comments may not meet the usual standard.
- Trumpcare, which really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really sucks, has been dealt a setback as Yertle the Turtle tries to get enough votes over the holiday recess.
- But it’s not dead yet. Call your Senators. Fight the fight. Save the world.
- Meanwhile, Trump has stumbled on the brilliant strategy of taking his own citizens hostage.
- He’s just so goddamned pathetic.
- Donald Trump, the candidate of peace.
- The Supreme Court with Neil Gorsuch gets to work. I want to retch.
- I’m losing my capacity to be properly terrified, but the escalating election hack story is terrifying.
- Per the Washington Post, The Republicans would rather submit to a foreign power than lose an election. This party is irredeemable.
- Blatant corruption!
- Jon Ossoff lost, but it was a fairly promising loss. Remember, in 2009 the Democrats won every House special election.
- Dump Nancy Pelosi, because Republicans are the best source of political advice. Ignore that Paul Ryan’s approval rating is worse than hers.
- What do Democrats stand for? IMO, the immediate answer should be voting rights.
- Jill Stein is a disgrace to her nation.
- David Brooks is a disgrace to humanity.
- It doesn’t affect me much, but TMZ (and the National Enquirer) are in the tank for Trump. Bad news.
- Troubling news about an Emmett Till memorial in Mississippi.
- More from Matthew Yglesias on Amazon buying Whole Foods.
- Ahahahahaha, Uber. Sucks to suck.
- They’ve lost the benefit of the doubt. When conservatives complain about their free speech being silenced, they really seek to silence yours.
- Seeing as we live in a world with robots and swell technology, maybe it’s time to enjoy the fruit of our labors? Universal basic income is worth trying.
- Philanthropy has its limits, and it may be time for a change.
- A genuine must-read story on Ryan O’Callaghan, the ex-NFL lineman who just came out.
- Prisoner of Azkaban is the best Harry Potter book and the best movie. Though Half-Blood Prince is the funniest book, I think.
- In the weirdest story you’ll read for a while, a fitness blogger named Burger was killed by a can of whipped cream. Talk about bad luck.
- OK, whether your dog will eat your carcass after you die alone can also get pretty weird.
- Never mind. “Pokemon 20 Years Later” is the weirdest. Delightfully weird, though.