Holy moly, we’re blowing through news like the writers want to cram everything in before we’re canceled. Mooch is the ill-advised new character meant to boost ratings.
- To recap: The Senate got Heller and Capito to cave and brought John McCain back to vote on the motion to proceed, which passed, thus filling me with despair. They then went on to vote for “skinny repeal,” an awful bill none of them wanted that probably would have passed the House (whoops!). And then the Senate went ahead and voted it down. “Skinny repeal” is dead. Whew. ThinkProgress has the ridiculous timeline if you want the gory details.
- I don’t like McCain and think he played the role of the Prodigal Son for less-than-noble reasons. But actions endure long after motives are forgotten, and he did the right thing Friday morning. Let us not forget Senators Collins and Murkowski for also doing the right thing. Let us not forget the Senate Democrats who all did the right thing. Let us remember the organizers and ordinary citizens who called their asses off to save their country. This is a famous victory. Until the next time they try to kill us all, at least.
- Meanwhile, the ACA is chugging along, saving Detroit and reducing medical bankruptcies.
- If there were justice, Fred Clark would be writing for The New York Times as the moral voice of the nation and David Brooks would be colonizing Venus.
- What’s Trump doing? Besides obstructing justice in the Russia affair? Hoo boy…
- He announced a ban on transgender service members in the military, which the Joint Chiefs refused to implement until he gave it to them in non-Tweet form. Looking good, New York Times!
- He gave a loathsome speech to the Boy Scouts, who deserve better.
- He gave another loathsome speech in which he endorsed police brutality.
- He inflicted a lot of problems on us while doing nothing to solve the problems we desperately need to be working on.
- I miss FLOTUS Michelle Obama.
- Hyeh hyeh hyeh hyeh.
The continuing battle between Ohio and North Carolina on license plates and the back of quarters to claim the home of flight is largely a pissing match between two states with very little else to offer and should be made fun of by everyone from better states.
- GamerGate was a test run for Donald Trump becoming ruler of the free (?) world. That is a real sentence that I mean sincerely.
- South Park also played a part in this. I haven’t watched since the first week of last November, and I don’t know if I’ll go back.
- “Predatory Journals Hit By ‘Star Wars’ Sting” is a headline as good as the post it adorns:
So what did they publish? A travesty, which they should have rejected within about 5 minutes – or 2 minutes if the reviewer was familiar with Star Wars. Some highlights:
- “Beyond supplying cellular energy, midichloria perform functions such as Force sensitivity…”
- “Involved in ATP production is the citric acid cycle, also referred to as the Kyloren cycle after its discoverer”
- “Midi-chlorians are microscopic life-forms that reside in all living cells – without the midi-chlorians, life couldn’t exist, and we’d have no knowledge of the force. Midichlorial disorders often erupt as brain diseases, such as autism.”
- “midichloria DNA (mtDNRey)” and “ReyTP”
- In pace requiescat, June Foray.