Advice for my beloved readers: Don’t get food poisoning. 😦
- To be honest, the reason that I never trusted Uber was the name. Too Randian for my taste. Thankfully (though not for society), the universe has vindicated this arbitrary aversion.
- Our government put hundreds of Aleuts in decrepit camps during World War II in addition to the thousands of Japanese Americans. Code Switch has a good story about this forgotten crime.
- Monticello is not going to hide the story of Sally Hemings anymore. Good for them. (h/t Anne Laurie at Balloon Juice)
- Kenneth Arrow, social scientist and economist extraordinaire, is dead. Quiz bowl players everywhere mourn.
- What’s left behind when ISIS is defeated? “This Is What’s Left Behind When ISIS Is Defeated.”
- Remember what I wrote about cognitive dissonance? Exhibit Z: Republicans and Putin.
- Things that are still cool in these troubled times: Astronomical discoveries!
- Last October, the Chinese national soccer team, representing the most populous country in the history of Earth, lost at home to Syria, representing a country that’s been engulfed in a civil war for half a decade and is partially overrun by ISIS. That is a humiliation by which all humiliations should be measured.
- Tom Cotton, who was committing treason before it became the cool thing to do, really, really sucks. He’s a septic tank that can walk like a man.
- Trump is rolling back Obama’s protections for trans students. Kids are going to suffer. Kids are going to die.